Contact Us

Sarah Brown


Ph: (406) 265-5481 x2354

Justice Court

Hill County Justice Court of Record handles misdemeanor offenses, traffic offenses, initial felony complaints, and acts as the nearest and most accessible Court for all inmates at the Hill County Detention Center.  In addition, Justice Court handles civil actions under $15,000, small claims actions, order of protection cases, landlord/tenant cases, and wedding ceremonies.

Hill County Justice Court is here to assist the public, however, §§ 3-1-601 and 7-4-2210, MCA prohibit this office from giving legal advice or preparing legal documents.  If you are in need of legal advice, please contact an attorney.

We do not accept credit or debit card payments in office.  If you would like to pay by debit or credit card, follow the instructions here.

Audrey (1)Honorable Audrey Barger, Justice of the Peace (2010-present)

Sarah Brown, Clerk  
(406) 265-5481 x2354

Mane’ Acosta, Clerk
(406) 265-5481 x2355

Open Court

If your citation states on or before a certain date, the date listed is the date of your Court appearance.  If your citation does not state "YOUR APPEARANCE IN COURT IS MANDATORY," you may choose to forfeit bond by paying in full in lieu of a Court appearance.

Open Court takes place on Mondays at 8:00 a.m.  Open Court is the time to appear on citations, outstanding warrants, or speak with the Judge about a case.  At Open Court, you will be advised of your constitutional rights and you will make your initial plea.  If you plead guilty, you will be sentenced at that time, unless restitution is at isssue.  If you plead not guilty, you will be asked what you would like to do for an attorney for the remainder of the case, an Omnibus Hearing will be scheduled, and release conditions will be set.

Jury Service

If you were selected to serve on our yearly jury pool, you will be notified of your jury service date by mail.  It is important that you report any address or telephone number changes to our office.  If you receive a jury service notification, please call our office immediately to report that you have received your letter.  Generally, our trials last one day.

If you cannot serve on the date you have been selected, you will need to ask for an excusal in writing.  Please make your written proposed excusal as detailed as possible.  Our office will call you as soon as we are able to let you know whether you have been excused from jury service or not.  You may bring your written excusal into our office, email it to either Clerk (as listed above), or fax it to (406) 262-9441.



Frequently Asked Questions

Is Hill County Justice Court the same as Havre City Court?
No. We cannot accept payments for or give any information about a Havre City Court case.  Havre City Court can be reached at (406) 265-8575.
What if I miss my Court date?
If you have an attorney, you will need to contact them.  If you miss your initial appearance date, call our office as soon as possible to avoid the issuance of a warrant for your arrest.
What if I can't make my payment or complete a sentencing requirement?
Call our office.  We can work with you to extend your due date.  If you need to reset your payment plan or get an extension on your requirement, you will need to appear on an Open Court date.
How much is it to file a Small Claims or Civil case?
Small Claims filing fee is $30.  Civil filing fee is $50.
How do I take care of my warrant?
Turn yourself in to the Hill County Detention Center or appear at an Open Court date.
Can I watch another individual's hearing?
Yes, proceedings in Hill County Justice Court are open to the public.
I am under 18; can I come to Court alone?
No, anyone under 18 years old will need a parent or legal guardian with them at each hearing.
When will inmates at the Hill County Detention Center be seen by the Judge?
Judge Barger arraigns Detention Center inmates everyday, as the Court schedule permits.  Often, inmates are arraigned in the early afternoon.
Can I mail my payment?
Yes, payments in the form of money orders may be mailed to

Hill County Justice Court

315 4th St.

Havre, MT  59501

or paid online here.

We are no longer able to accept personal checks.  We apologize for any inconvenience.


Self-Representation Forms


Montana Bond Book

Montana Code Annotated