Contact Us

Sandy Brown,


Ph: (406) 265-5481 ext 2338


Sandy Brown click here to email

315 4th Street
Havre, MT 59501
(406) 265-5481 ext 2340

Melissa Russel

Kari McBride

Ashlynn Christ

Sandy-Brown-Treasurer-copy-100x150SANDY BROWN


406.265.5481 x 2338


Hill County Clerk:

(406)265-5481 ext 2340



(406) 265-5481 EXT. 2340


(406) 357-5653


Renew Registration
MT Motor Vehicle Division – Driver & Vehicle Services Made Easy (*

*(Plate, VIN, and exact amount are required to use online County renewal service)

Online Vehicle Registration Renewal

To renew your vehicle registration online visit the State of Montana's website at or go directly to the link to the application at MT Motor Vehicle Division – Driver & Vehicle Services Made Easy (

315 4th Street Havre, MT 59501
(406)265-5481 ext. 2419

Vehicle Title and Registration forms are available through the state of Montana, Department of Justice

Out of state residents who are temporarily working in Montana or are using their vehicle for hire, compensation or profit, must display Montana plates and pay taxes for using Montana public roadways. Because they are not Montana residents, they cannot title their vehicles in Montana. To qualify for a registration purposes only permit, the out of state resident must provide a current out of state registration. A temporary registration is acceptable, as long as it's current.

Students who are residents of another state do not need to plate and register their vehicle unless they are working while going to school. They must title if they own the vehicle, but a registration purpose only permit is allowed if the vehicle is registered to a different owner, parent for example.

It is unlawful to operate a motor vehicle in the State of Montana without valid vehicle liability insurance policy, certificate of self-insurance or posted indemnity.
I have moved to Montana, what do I need to register my car?

If you have recently moved to Montana and need to transfer your title, or if an out-of-state- party is holding the title for your vehicle, it is still possible to transfer the title to Montana.

  • Ask your County Treasurer for a Foreign Title Transfer (MV63). Complete and sign the form.
  • Mail the form to the secured party, asking that your out-of-state title be released to your county treasurer’s office.
  • When the county treasurer’s office receives the secured party’s request and the out-of-state title, you will then complete a title and registration in your local Montana county treasurers office. The New Montana title can then be sent to the out-of-state secured party if requested.
MT Motor Vehicle Division – Driver & Vehicle Services Made Easy (
What about renewing Montana plates?
I may want to personalize my plates?
New registration needed, plates gone, decal missing?
If a plate is lost or damaged, a customer may order a replacement set of plates at their local County Treasurer’s office. They will be required to pay all applicable fees.

MT Motor Vehicle Division – Driver & Vehicle Services Made Easy (
How much will it cost?
Registration costs are based on state established fee schedules. In addition to your registration fee. Hill County imposes a county option tax. This tax is based on the manufacturer's suggested retail price, depreciated according to the schedule established by law.
When and where do I pay?

The Hill County Treasurer accepts cash, personal checks and money orders made out to Hill County Treasurer in the exact amount of your registration. Please do not send cash through the mail. MasterCard, Discover, and Visa are now accepted by the Hill County Treasurer. 

Help us Help you -  renew your registration by mail!

How can I find out more about donating my vehicle?
Wheels for wishes is a free resource for people who have a vehicle to recycle.

We accept unused and damaged license plates which get recycled and the proceeds go towards the MT Hope Project.

Montana Hope Project

P.O. Box 5927
Helena, MT 59604

Richard L. Hader
2360 Bob White Ct
Missoula, MT 59808

The goal of the Hope Project is to make dreams come true for critically ill children in Montana. It raises money through fundraisers, corporate donors, donations and memorials, and ninety percent of all proceeds raised go directly to Montana children. The most requested wish is a trip to Walt Disney World.

Contact Information:

Hill County Treasurer
315 4th Street Havre, MT 59501

Sandy Brown, Treasurer click here to email

(406) 265-5481 ext 2338

Melissa Russell, Deputy

(406) 265-5481 ext 2341