Hill County Treasurer

Sandy Brown click here to email

315 4th Street
Havre, MT 59501
(406) 265-5481 ext 2338


Tax Information:


Pay Taxes 

   By law no partial payments are allowed, please call for exact amount.

(406) 265-5481 ext. 2419



Q. When and where is the tax lien sale advertised?

A. The month of July in the local newspaper,

Q. How and when do I register for the Tax Lien Sale?
A. There is no registration.

Q. What are the payment requirements at the Tax Lien Sale?
A. There are no payments required at the tax lien sale. The Notice of Pending Assignment has to be processed first.

Q. What is the bidding process?
A. There is no bidding process. It is on a first come, first served basis.

Q. What type of document is issued at the tax lien sale?
A. No documents are issued at that time.

Q. Are there any other expenses in addition to the cost of the lien?
A. There is a $25.00 fee for taking an assignment.

Q. What is the foreclosure process and will the County handle the process for a fee?
A. It is the purchaser’s responsibility to proceed with the legal process. This is referred to as the Assignment Process. The County does not do the Assignment Process for the purchaser.

Q. What happens to the liens that are not sold at the Tax Lien Sale?
A. The County holds the lien on the delinquent property. At any time after the tax lien sale certificate has been issued the public can take an assignment on the property. This is done at the Treasurer’s office.

Q. Can investors participate, via mail, telephone, or fax, in the tax lien sale process without attending the tax lien sale?
A. Without researching which properties are delinquent and where they are located it would be difficult over the phone, fax, or mail. Anyone can request a delinquent tax list by calling (406) 265-5481 ext 2338. There is a fee for this list.

Q. What is the rate of interest in the County?
A. The interest rate is 5/6 of 1% per month, 10 % per year

Q. Do I need to have a title search done for the Tax Deed process?
A. You will need to have a property title guarantee done by a licensed title insurance producer.

Delinquent taxes on Real Property are a lien on the property. This lien is offered for sale at a Tax Lien Sale in July following the year for which the taxes are owed. i.e. The tax lien for 2015 taxes is sold at a Tax Lien Sale in July of 2016. If no one purchases the lien at the Tax Lien Sale, the County is considered the purchaser. The purchaser of the lien, whether it is the County or some third party, may then assign the lien to another person via the Assignment Process. The owner of the property or party of record may redeem the property at any time during the Redemption Period. If the property is not redeemed, a Tax Deed is issued to the assignee of the lien.

The Tax Lien Sale is held every July at the County Treasurer’s Office at 315 4th Street Havre, MT. The purchaser must know the current owner’s name before starting the assignment process. There are several ways to search out this information.

Lookup the current owner on the State of MT web site, Give the address to a clerk in the County Property Tax Department. The ownership can be looked up by address.  Acquire the Assessment Code from the Department of Revenue Appraisal Office or the County Treasurers Office in the Courthouse 315 4th Street Havre, MT 59501

A Notice of Pending Assignment must be sent to the current owner of the desired property.  The owner has two weeks from the date of Notice to pay all outstanding taxes and costs, which voids the Notice of Pending Assignment.  If after the two-week period the taxes are still outstanding the Assignee returns a copy of the Notice of Pending Assignment with the postal certified receipt and the signed Assignment Agreement. If the Assignee wants to be reimbursed for any out of pocket costs they must enclose a copy of a Certification of Costs form at the time said costs are incurred.

The Assignee must pay all delinquent taxes and a $25.00 Assignment Fee to the County Treasurer.
The Assignee receives a Tax Lien Sale Certificate and Assignment document for each delinquent year taxes paid under assignment.
The owner of record receives a Tax Lien Sale Certificate for each year under assignment and a Notice of Assignment.


(Pursuant to 15-17-212(3) and 15-17-323(5), MCA)

THIS NOTICE IS VERY IMPORTANT with regard to the purchase of the Tax Sale Certificate, which Hill County holds on the following property. If the delinquent taxes are not paid IN FULL within 2 WEEKS from the date of this notice, an assignment of Tax Sale Certificate will be purchased. THIS COULD RESULT IN THE LOSS OF YOUR PROPERTY LISTED BELOW.

After the property has been under assignment for three years from the date of the oldest tax lien sale, the Assignee may start the tax deed process.

A Notice of Pending Tax Deed must be sent to all parties and occupant by certified mail with signature requested.
The Assignee must do a property title guarantee to determine who has an interest in the property. A title company shall be hired to do this.
Submit a new Certificate of Costs to the County Treasurer / Property Tax for reimbursement of any out of pocket expenses.
If any of the certified letters are returned to the Assignee, there must be an ad placed in the local newspaper, running once a week for two (2) weeks.
The owner has 60-days, from the date of the letter to respond to the Notice of Pending Tax Deed.

Proof Of Notice

Proof of Notice has to be filed with the Clerk and Recorder within 30-days of the date of the Notice of Pending Tax Deed issuance letter, or 30-days of the first publication.
A copy of each Notice of Pending Tax Deed sent and the certified mail receipt with signature requested, or the undeliverable mail receipt must be attached to the Proof of Notice.
If an ad was placed in the local paper, a copy of the ad also needs to be attached to the Proof of Notice.
Attach a new Certificate of Costs to the County Treasurer / Property Tax for reimbursement of any out of pocket expenses.
If at the end of the 60-day period there has been no redemption of delinquent taxes, the Assignee can submit an Application for Tax Deed to the County Treasurer / Property Tax.

The 60-day period required for the Notice of Pending Tax Deed is referred to as the Redemption Period. Parties of record can redeem the property anytime during the 60-day period by:

Paying all costs, taxes and interest.
A receipt goes to the payee of the redemption, a cover sheet and Certificate of Redemption goes to the Assignee, which indicates that all costs have been paid and the property has been redeemed.
The Assignee must return to the Treasurers Office the Tax Lien Sale Certificate, Assignment documents, Certificate of Redemption forms, and cover sheet before a refund of all monies paid will be issued.
Upon receiving an Application for Tax Deed with the required $25.00 fee the County Treasurer will issue the Tax Deed.
The Clerk and Recorder will record for you, the tax deed with a Realty Transfer Certificate into the County Records for a fee.

Hill County Treasurer’s Office 406-265-5481 ext 2419

Montana State web sites at you can access the Montana state statues under government, constitution and laws, Montana codes, Title 15-tax, chapters 15,16,17 & 18 we state the Montana laws on all of the tax processes.





Renew Registration*

*(Plate, VIN, and exact amount are required to use online County renewal service)


Online Vehicle Registration Renewal

To renew your vehicle registration online visit the State of Montana's website at or go directly to the link to the application at
315 4th Street Havre, MT 59501
(406)265-5481 ext. 2419

Vehicle Title and Registration forms are available through the state of Montana, Department of Justice

Out of state residents who are temporarily working in Montana or are using their vehicle for hire, compensation or profit, must display Montana plates and pay taxes for using Montana public roadways. Because they are not Montana residents, they cannot title their vehicles in Montana. To qualify for a registration purposes only permit, the out of state resident must provide a current out of state registration. A temporary registration is acceptable, as long as it's current.

Students who are residents of another state do not need to plate and register their vehicle unless they are working while going to school. They must title if they own the vehicle, but a registration purpose only permit is allowed if the vehicle is registered to a different owner, parent for example.

It is unlawful to operate a motor vehicle in the State of Montana without valid vehicle liability insurance policy, certificate of self-insurance or posted indemnity.

I have moved to Montana, what do I need to register my car?

If you are coming from another state, please register your vehicles as soon as you establish residency in Montana, or before your out-of-state registration expires, whichever comes first. In order to register your vehicle you will need to provide us with the Certificate of Title. If the Certificate of Title to your vehicle is being held by a lien holder, the Motor Vehicle Department will provide you with a foreign title transfer form. This will allow the Certificate of Title to be transferred to a Montana Title and then returned to your lien holder.

What about renewing Montana plates?

A renewal decal (or tab), that will make your license plate current, will be issued each year after the fees are paid. If you keep your address updated, a courtesy renewal notice will be mailed directly to you from the State of Montana. Nevertheless, if none is received, each driver is still responsible for timely registration renewal. If your registration receipt has an expiration date, you have until the last day of the following month to renew your registration.

I may want to personalize my plates?

If you would like to have personalized license plates, they are available to you for an additional fee. Unique options are possible using your choice of up to seven numbers and letters, providing the combination is not offensive or in bad taste and has not already been issued to someone else. The initial cost is $35 for plate manufacture and then $10 annually in addition to normal registration fees.

Specially designed plates for veterans, colleges, military units and others are also available at their own initial and annual rates. Vintage and Antique vehicles may be distinguished with their own plate issue also.
New registration needed, plates gone, decal missing?

New vehicle purchasers may obtain a 40 day sticker from the Hill County Treasurer. You must present a notarized bill of sale or notarized signed off title at the time you apply for a sticker.

If you have lost a plate or decal, get a new issue from the Hill County Treasurer. Replacement costs are $20.00.  Reporting the loss to the police may also be appropriate.
How much will it cost?

Registration costs are based on state established fee schedules. In addition to your registration fee. Hill County imposes a county option tax. This tax is based on the manufacturer's suggested retail price, depreciated according to the schedule established by law.
When and where do I pay?

The Hill County Treasurer accepts cash, personal checks and money orders made out to Hill County Treasurer in the exact amount of your registration. Please do not send cash through the mail. MasterCard, Discover, and Visa are now accepted by the Hill County Treasurer, however there is a 3% convenience fee collected on any card transactions.

Help us Help you -  renew your registration by mail!

How can I find out more about donating my vehicle?

Wheels for wishes is a free resource for people who have a vehicle to recycle.

Contact Information:
Hill County Treasurer
315 4th Street Havre, MT 59501


Sandy Brown, Treasurer click here to email

(406) 265-5481 ext 2338

Kyler Lake, Deputy

(406) 265-5481 ext 2341

Hill County Clerks:
Kris Woods (406) 265-5481 ext 2340

Pam Conatser (406) 265-5481 ext 2339

Sandy Brown



Kyler Lake

click here to email

 (406) 265-5481 ext 2341

Hill County Clerks:

(406)265-5481 ext 2340    Kris Woods        click here to email

(406) 265-5481 ext 2339          Pam Conatser          click here to email